Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Ice Storm=No Power!!

I have a whole new appreciation for electricity. We were without it from Tuesday until Tuesday. ONE WEEK! We have a small generator that powered our refrigerator, a TV (no cable but we got one channel thanks to Jared's rabbit ears and watched DVD's), a lamp, and one other item of our choice :). We were fortunate (blessed) enough to have two gas fireplaces so our house stayed warm (after closing off certain areas). We have an electric water heater so we bummed showers and baths from our sweet family and friends. I was told on Monday that we'd probably be out of power for another couple of weeks (I smiled and laughed about learning to take cold showers but then cried as I drove away!) so when our power came on the next day we were pleasantly surprised. We were very fortunate though. We didn't have any damage from fallen trees and we stayed WARM. After driving through town, I decided I'd rather not have power for a few extra days than have to deal with all of the mess. My parents have an insurance office so I've heard a lot of sad stories. Lyddie helped Daddy drag the generator thru to the back porch (which he moved to the yard).

We have two futon mattresses that we put in the family room by the fireplace. After a couple of days Jared and I moved to our room. The boys LOVED "camping out".
I wanted to make taco soup but needed to brown the hamburger meat. Jared had gone to get gas so when all else fails...read the instructions! I lit a propane burner with no help :). Bring on the woods. (I've camped but Jared always takes care of EVERYTHING) I put everything in the crock pot and it was good!!
While trying to figure out the burner I left Lyddie with a cup of yogurt :).
I love this picture of Harrison sitting on Jared's back watching tv.
Passing the time...it was actually REALLY good for us. The boys were AWESOME! They played together (with minimal fighting) and used their imaginations like they haven't in a long time. We are really going to cut down on tv and video game time!!
Jared's parents had a LOT of tree limbs down. We went over on Saturday and helped them.


0 comments: